Greetings from our kitchen, where we are going to take you on a culinary journey with our amazing Green Egg Rolls recipe. The crispiness of classic egg rolls meets the freshness of colourful green veggies in these delicious treats, creating a flavour combination that will tantalise your taste buds and leave you wanting more. This recipe will wow you and your guests with its inventive and daring take on a time-honored favourite, regardless of your level of culinary expertise.
History of Green Egg Rolls
Egg rolls have their roots in ancient China, when they were created with pork, cabbage, and other flavorful ingredients, wrapped in thin dough, and then perfectly deep-fried. This well-loved meal has numerous versions and interpretations to please every palate that it has evolved and adapted to various culinary cultures around the world over the years.
Our recipe for Green Egg Rolls is influenced by the colourful variety of green vegetables, including spinach, kale, and broccoli, and it is modernised by adding to the rich tapestry of Asian cuisine. This gives the dish a vibrant pop of colour and an abundance of nutrients and antioxidants, making it as nutritious as it is tasty.
12 egg roll wrappers,2 cups finely chopped spinach,1 cup shredded kale,1 cup diced broccoli florets, 1 cup thinly sliced green onions,1/2 cup shredded carrots,1/4 cup chopped cilantro,3 cloves garlic, minced,1 tablespoon grated ginger,2 tablespoons soy sauce,1 tablespoon sesame oil,1 teaspoon rice vinegar,1 teaspoon sriracha (optional),Salt and pepper to taste,Vegetable oil for frying
1. Prepare the Filling
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped spinach, shredded kale, diced broccoli florets, sliced green onions, shredded carrots, chopped cilantro, minced garlic, and grated ginger.
- Drizzle the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and sriracha (if using) over the vegetable mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss everything together until well combined, ensuring that the vegetables are evenly coated with the seasonings.
2. Assemble the Egg Rolls
- Lay an egg roll wrapper on a clean, flat surface, with one corner pointing towards you.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the vegetable filling onto the center of the wrapper, spreading it out into a horizontal line.
- Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper over the filling, then fold in the sides, and roll it up tightly into a cylinder, sealing the edges with a dab of water.
- Repeat this process with the remaining wrappers and filling until you have 12 egg rolls ready to be fried.
3. Fry the Egg Rolls
- In a large skillet or deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place the egg rolls into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the egg rolls in batches for about 3-4 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg rolls from the oil and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
4. Serve and Enjoy
- Allow the egg rolls to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve them hot with your favorite dipping sauce, such as sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, or plum sauce.
- Garnish with additional chopped cilantro or sliced green onions, if desired.
- Enjoy these irresistible green egg rolls as an appetizer, snack, or side dish, and watch as they disappear within minutes!
You’ve become an expert at creating your own green egg rolls from scratch. You can make a tasty dish that will wow everyone at your table with just a few basic ingredients and simple instructions. Why then wait? Now that you have your ingredients together, get rolling!
Can I make green egg rolls ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the filling and assemble the egg rolls ahead of time, then fry them just before serving for the best results.
Can I freeze green egg rolls?
Absolutely! Once assembled, you can freeze the egg rolls on a baking sheet until firm, then transfer them to a freezer bag for long-term storage. When ready to eat, simply fry them from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
Can I substitute the filling ingredients?
Of course! Feel free to customize the filling to your liking by adding ingredients such as mushrooms, bell peppers, or bean sprouts.
How do I store leftover green egg rolls?
Store any leftover egg rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the oven or air fryer until heated through.
What dipping sauces pair well with green egg rolls?
Green egg rolls pair well with a variety of dipping sauces, including sweet and sour sauce, plum sauce, hoisin sauce, or even a simple soy sauce and sriracha mixture.