If you’re looking for a comforting dessert that celebrates the sweetness of ripe peaches, look no further than a homemade peach crisp. This delightful dessert combines juicy peaches with a crunchy, gluten-free topping for a treat that’s perfect for any occasion. In this article, we’ll take you through the step-by-step process of making a delicious gluten-free peach crisp right in your own kitchen.
Exploring the Allure of Peach Crisp
Peach crisp is a classic dessert that’s loved for its simplicity and irresistible flavour. With its bubbling, caramelised fruit filling and crispy topping, peach crisp is the epitome of comfort food. Whether served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or enjoyed on its own, this dessert is sure to become a favourite in your recipe collection.
Gather Your Ingredients
To make a gluten-free peach crisp, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh Peaches: Choose ripe, juicy peaches for the best flavour. You’ll need about 6–8 peaches, peeled and sliced.
- Granulated sugar: It sweetens the peach filling and enhances the natural sweetness of the fruit.
- Cornflour thickens the peach filling and helps prevent it from becoming too runny.
- Lemon Juice: Adds a touch of acidity to balance the sweetness of the peaches.
- Gluten-Free Rolled Oats: This provides the base for the crisp topping and adds a satisfying crunch.
- Almond Flour: Adds richness and nuttiness to the topping while keeping it gluten-free.
- Brown sugar sweetens the topping and adds a hint of caramel flavour.
- Ground cinnamon enhances the flavour of the topping with warm, spicy notes.
- Salt balances the sweetness of the dessert and enhances the overall flavour.
Prepare the Peach Filling
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced peaches, granulated sugar, cornflour, and lemon juice. Toss until the peaches are evenly coated in the sugar mixture, then transfer the filling to a greased baking dish.
Make the Crisp Topping
In a separate bowl, combine the gluten-free rolled oats, almond flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Stir until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Assemble and Bake
Sprinkle the crisp topping evenly over the peach filling in the baking dish. Bake the peach crisp in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 35–40 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
Serve and enjoy!
Remove the peach crisp from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra indulgent treat.
In conclusion, making a delicious gluten-free peach crisp is easier than you might think. With just a handful of simple ingredients and a few easy steps, you can create a dessert that’s bursting with the flavors of summer. So why not give it a try and treat yourself to a taste of peachy perfection?
Can I use frozen peaches instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use frozen peaches if fresh ones are not available. Just be sure to thaw and drain them before using in the recipe.
Can I use a different type of fruit?
Absolutely! While peaches are classic, you can use a variety of fruits such as apples, berries, or even rhubarb to make a delicious crisp.
Can I make the crisp topping in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the crisp topping ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before using.
Is there a way to make the peach crisp dairy-free?
Yes, you can use dairy-free butter or coconut oil in place of butter in the crisp topping to make it dairy-free.
How should I store leftover peach crisp?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.